Based on the fabulous recipe from Sue Davidson. This is Neen’s take on the Feijoa Steak Sauce using Granny Smith Apples instead – fantastic with chicken!
Apple Chicken Sauce
- 1.8 kg Granny Smith Apples Peel on, cored and quartered
- 1 kg Sugar
- 6 teaspoons Salt
- 8 teaspoons Ground Cloves (One 40g packet)
- 1 medium Onion Diced finely
- 3-4 cloves Garlic Diced
- 1 teaspoon Ground Ginger
- 1.5 litres Malt Vinegar (Two 750ml DYC bottles)
- 1 teaspoon Cayenne (heaped)
- Core Apples (Do not peel) and dice onion and garlic.
- Place all ingredients in a pot and bring to the boil.
- Simmer for two hours.
- Allow to cool and whizz in the blender or using a stick blender.
- Return to heat and simmer a further two hours.
- Bottle in clean sterilised jars.