- 1 Chinese cabbage, chopped into 3cm slices
¼ cup salt
water, to cover
1 tablespoon sugar
4 cloves garlic, crushed
2 tablespoons fresh ginger, crushed
1 – 5 tablespoons Korean chilli powder
2 tablespoons nori flakes (optional)
2 tablespoons fish sauce (optional)
3-4 medium carrots, sliced into matchsticks
4 spring onions, sliced
- Sterilise 2 Agee jars
- In a large bowl sprinkle the salt over the cabbage that has been chopped into bite sized pieces and gently massage
- Allow to sit until the cabbage has softened (4-12 hours)
- Drain and rinse under cold water, then drain thoroughly, squeezing out excess liquid
- Make a paste out of the sugar, garlic, ginger, chilli flakes, nori and fish sauce (if not using fish sauce add 2 tablespoons of water)
- Mix together the drained cabbage, paste, carrots and spring onions so the cabbage is well coated
- Pack into jars. Push down so vegetables are submerged.
- Add a weight.
- Put airlock lids on jars
- Place in a cool dark place and check daily
- It will ferment and bubble for a week or two, press down gently every now and again to expel the bubbles
- Once it has stopped bubbling place in smaller containers with airtight lids and keep in the refrigerator or in a cool, dark place.