- 1 Medium Cabbage
- Sterilise Agee jar(s), lid and weight
- Remove outer leaves (DO NOT DISCARD) of cabbage and wash then shred into a bowl.
- Weigh the cabbage. You will need 2.5% of the weight of the cabbage in salt (I have included a table below)
- Add salt to cabbage and rest for at least 2 hours (can be as long as 12 hours)
- Pound the cabbage, kneading it until the juice runs freely
- Pack into jars pushing down to remove any air pockets leaving around 4 to 5 cm at the top of the jar.
- Using the outer cabbage leaf top off the mix and add a weight.
- Close jar with an airlock and place in a cool dark place.
- Fermentation will start in 2-3 days and be finished after 2-3 weeks. It is finished when it it tastes tangy or using a pH testing strip has a pH of 4
- Switch the airlock lid for a standard one and refrigerate