Courtesy of Sharon Moseley
This is an eggplant dish but works equally as well with courgettes/zucchinis or half and half!
Makes a large side dish, or serve with mash or bread
- 1 Eggplant OR
- 1 large Zuchinni
- Sea Salt
- 5 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1 Onion peeled, halved and sliced
- 2 Celery Stalks trimmed and chopped
- 1 Red Pepper de-seeded and chopped
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- 5 large Tomatoes
- 2 cloves Garlic peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon Raw Sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons Red Wine or Balsamic Vinegar
- 100 grams Olives chopped
- 50 grams Capers
- Handful Basil
- 50 grams Pine Nuts toasted
- Cut the eggplant (or zucchini) into chunks, place in colander and sprinkle with sea salt. Leave for 30 minutes then rinse and pat dry
- Heat the olive oil in a wide, heave based pan and add eggplant, onion, celery, and red pepper with a little seasoning. Saute over a high heat for 5 minutes.
- Add chopped tomatoes, garlic, sugar, vinegar, olives, and capers
- Continue cooking over high heat for another 5-8 minutes, stirring occasionally until eggplant is tender. Check seasoning.
- Scatter basil and pine nuts over top and serve.